Доклад «Development of product strategy»
30 сентября 2014 г
Первый доклад на английском языке в Цюрихе на Product Management Festival 2014
- 1. Development of product strategy: the method of rapid foresight Yury Kupriyanov Dmitriy Bezuglyy
- 2. Presenters Yury Kupriyanov Business trainer, consultant Head of practice of enterprise crowsdourcing and knowledge management in WikiVote! Dmitry Bezugliy Business trainer, consultant Founder and chief consultant in System Approach, ltd.
- 3. Why do we need the product strategy ? “Since blind companies don’t know where to go, they try to go in multiple directions”… 4
- 4. What is the strategy ? •The strategy is the choice about where we are going to succeed. –Where do we want to go ? –How we will get there? –Why we will be successful ? 5
- 5. Reality •How many of you have clear articulated company strategy ? •Is it easy to create product strategy ? •Do you have proved methodology to create WORKING product strategy ? •Is it easy to convince BOSS and Dev Team that it is RIGHT strategy ? 6
- 6. What is main pitfalls in creation Product strategy ? 7
- 7. Typical problems •Too abstract •Blind spots •Too technical •Too many visions •Hallucination •… •Shortsighted 8
- 8. What’s wrong with current tools? •SWOT analysis •Porter Five Forces •Balanced Scorecard •Business Model Canvas •Lean Product Canvas •…and so on
- 9. The same problem, even worse ? 10
- 10. There is no future •There is no time dimension in these models. •There is no place for development and growth in these models. •All of them do not take in account possible changes in environment of a product.
- 11. Without future perspective its impossible to hit the target 12
- 12. The other method used to define strategy all around the world is a Strategic session 13
- 13. Does strategic session work ? 14
- 14. 50/50 chances 15
- 15. The main reason is that classic strategic session facilitation technic also doesn’t has tools to work with the future … 16
- 16. Foresight framework •Foresightis asystematic,participatory, future-intelligence-gathering and medium-to-long-termvision-building processaimed at enabling present-day decisions and mobilising joint actions. •Foresightis the ability to prepare wiselyfor the future.
- 17. “The best way to predict your future is to create it” 18 ―Abraham Lincoln
- 18. Foresight –future studies S.Pereslegin, 2011
- 19. Foresight
- 20. But foresight •Requires manyparticipants •Oriented on long-term •Has global focus •And expensive 21
- 21. Rapid Foresight (RF-method) •2-3 days working session •5 to 30 experts •Scaling up to an industry sector, zooming in to a single product •Immediately accessible visual roadmap (product timeline)
- 22. RF-method: phases Preparation •Research •Analytics •Session Planning Working session •Future map co- creation •Product Roadmap design •Roadmap validation game Analysis •Validate key findings vs market data •Design the result report
- 23. Adopted working session structure Trend analysis Stakeholder analysis Event analysis Formats and policy analysis Product positioning Create roadmap Validate Roadmap
- 24. 1. Trend analysis •Defining the markets (Focus areas) •Identifying key trends in each area. •Identifying dynamics of each trend. •Identifying a measurable indicator for a trend. •Time horizon for a trend.
- 25. The future canvas (map)
- 26. Xiaomi P1 P2 Trend as process
- 27. 2. Stakeholder analysis •For each trend identify three types of stakeholders: –Players •Beneficiaries •Opponents –Recipients
- 28. 3. Event analysis •Identifying key events of each trend: –What event can change direction of the trend? –What event can dramatically accelerate the trend? (Engage more people in it?) –What events can terminate the trend? •For each event indicate: –When this event would be? –What probability for this event?
- 29. 4. Formats and policy analysis •Identifying key social interaction formats. •Identifying key technologies for a product. •Identifying key policies and tacit rules. •For each of these indicate: –What trend support our object supports? –When would this object appear? –What is the probability for an object?
- 30. Future canvas is Ready 32
- 31. Part 2 33
- 32. 5. Product positioning •So far we have future landscape (All objects are placed on the Timeline). •Now we can place on the same timeline: –Features/products/platforms; –Actions and special events.
- 33. 6. Create roadmap
- 34. 7. Roadmap validation •To validate our product strategy roadmap we can use game storming method: –A group divides into two teams: product team and environment team; –Moderator gives a year (quarter) from now, and every team tells what happens in that year (quarter). –Thus we validate a product roadmap vs future environment map.
- 35. Summary Where do we want to go ? •We defined future landscape and placed our product on it How we will get there? •We will create product features •Undertake some activity or make some things happen Why we will be successful ? •We aim to the position where target will be •We have proactiveshared vision of the future 37
- 36. Key points •For systematic thinking on the future you need a model and a method. •Rapid Foresight is a method and a framework for facilitation strategic sessions. •Key concepts: trends, stakeholders, events, technologies, formats, policies, products. •Key features: gamestorming, rapid roadmap prototyping, unified future vision.
- 37. Rapid Foresight principles Future is not predetermined. We can create the future by our actions. We must manage the future, not just study it. Unified vision for the future is more important than precise.
- 38. RF-method: products case study •Dance Radar startup: dancing, dating and clubbing foresight •Wiki-meds.ru: how to changes patients, medics and pharmacy interactions •1C-Bitrix (commercial CMS #1 in Russia) strategic session •MTS (mobile operator) sales offices innovations foresight •Etc..
- 39. Extensions and add-ons •Extensions: –Product lanes –Technology startups growth –Megaprojects –New experts (competence profiles) –Territory/urban planning –‘Black Swans’ analysis •Extra tasks: –Knowledge gathering and sharing –Experts identifying –Spread of ideas/vision –Assessment of participants –Management and employees of future vision gap detection
Получайте лучшие материалы на e-mail!